US Jobs Report September 2023
Total Jobs Added*
Total non-farm payroll employment rose by 336,000 in September, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.8 percent. Job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality; government; health care; professional, scientific, and technical services; and social assistance.
The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) was little changed at 1.2 million in September. The long-term unemployed accounted for 19.1 percent of all unemployed persons. Both the labor force participation rate, at 62.8 percent, and the employment-population ratio, at 60.4 percent, were unchanged over the month.
USA Industry-Specific Updates – September 2023
Professional, Scientific & Technical
- Average monthly gain over the last 12 months +27,000
Leisure & Hospitality
- Food services & drinking places +61,000
- Accommodation Places +16,000
- Ambulatory health care +24,000
- Hospitals +8,000
- Nursing and residential care +8,000
Transportation & Warehousing
- Truck transportation +9,000
- Air transportation +5,000
- State government education +29,000
- Local government +27000
- Social assistance +25,000
- Information -5,000
- Motion pictures +7,000
Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates for adult men (3.8 percent), adult women (3.1 percent), teenagers (11.6 percent), Whites (3.4 percent), Blacks (5.7 percent), Asians (2.8 percent), and Hispanics (4.6 percent) showed little or no change in September.
Source: The US Bureau of Labor Statistics